Powered By Blogger

Sunday 18 March 2018

SEATON SANDS, MIDDLETON HARTLEPOOL, REDCAR AND MUCH MORE 18 MARCH 2018.

It was around  7-50 a.m.
The Sea was rough.
The tide was out.
The Wind was bitterly cold.
The car had informed me that it was minus 1 degree, goodness knows what it was with the windchill factor.

We headed South.
Sleet and hail came and went as it did Yesterday.
The cold was constant.

We turned to the North and it offered slight comfort to have the wind on our backs.
If you look to the left of the picture, can you see the upper line of rocks sticking out?
Like the arm forming an Arc.
The little dot near the shore was the chap below.

Say hello to Gilly the Guillemot.
He was completely exhausted by the Storm.
My line of thought is that if you can catch them, then they need saving.
He actually seemed glad to be picked up.
I caught and wrapped him in a pac a mac type coat that I had in my bag.

I have this box in my car.
Usually full of everything and a spare everything that I may need on a Beach Visit.
About as close as I will get to having that Camper Van.
I had saved a Guillemot previously  and used this box to transport it the local vet's.
I later drilled air holes in it just incase I needed it again, as I did today.
I needed to go Middleton on a project before Gilly was seen to.
For now he was safe and warm in the Blue Box.
I had rang RSPB SALTHOLME  for help but they were not open until 10a.m.; it was 9-40a.m.

As I drove to Middleton I spotted this Buoy.

I went to the Lifeboat Station at Middleton to report it and maybe inform the Coastguard.
They were aware of it and informed me that it was from the Windfarm in Tees Bay.

We walked the short distance to the battered Middleton Beach.

Never seen the Middleton Wreck this exposed.

Another view of the wreck, with St. Hilda's Church over on the Headland in the distance.
Note the sand bags at the rear.
I think these were placed here after an archaeological dig a number of years ago?

The South End of the Beach , so much sand gone.

A line from the bank top base to Middleton Pier.

After much ringing around and googling.. The people at White Cross Vets in Redcar saved the day and Gilly the Guillemot.
The receptionist couldn't have been any kinder, pleasant, helpful and caring.
6 miles away as the Guillemot flies but 21 miles by Road but worth the trip.
Thank You.

Well we were in Redcar so may as well have a look at the Forest that had been uncovered by the Storm down on the Beach.
The penguins  were models; the Snow was real!

Again so much sand gone to reveal the Forest.
In the distance Redcar's Vertical Pier a.k.a The Lipstick.

When you see a coin on the ancient forest floor and it turns out to be a 2p piece.....

Seaton Carew is in the distance.
we would be heading there very soon.
Any other day I would have stayed ages, searching but it was bitterly cold and we left the house around 5 hours earlier.

A Redcar wreck.

Outlet.

A different view for me of the Wind farm. 

My little mate had been with me all day.
he was glad to get into the shelter of the car.

Above and below a mixture of finds from our various locations today.


BEACH BUOY.