Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 30 August 2016

PORT MULGRAVE 29-08-16. BEACH No. 39 OUT OF A TARGET OF 52 FOR THE YEAR.

So there it is; Port Mulgrave, it looks stunning .
I was unable to actually get down onto the beach as both Paths were closed off due to a landslip.
I had driven as  far as the road would take me, but there is only a handful of places to park. I drove back past the houses on the fairly narrow road and back up into what I think is Loftus, as I wasn't comfortable parking in front of people's houses as they  must get sick of it.
So it was a 15 minute walk the view you see above.
I shuffled about a while, more than a little disappointed that the access was closed.
I saw a Marker. It read Staithes 1mile.
As I hadn't been to Staithes this year, it would be another of my 52 and it was only a mile .....

There was a joke I heard once,
"I WENT TO MORECAMBE... BUT IT WAS SHUT!"
well the same applied to Port Mulgrave today.

It was a red hot day and the Dog and I set off for Staithes .
My Mother was evacuated to Staithes during the second world war.
Years later; around 1973 our family went for a day out at Staithes, it was then that my Mother told us about her evacuation.
We then came to THE house she stayed  at.
She knocked at the door to ask about the couple who had taken her in during those  dangerous times and... it was them! They recognised her as soon as they saw her, she disappeared into the  house; Dad and I headed for the Beach... as you do.

It was the Dog's first encounter with Sheep today.
They were as calm as can be.

This is part of the path to Staithes, it is part of The Cleveland Way.

The path followed the clifftop for most of the Walk, you do have to go alongside a Farm and past this old building with a roof like an old horses back; bent with too many too heavy loads.

After 35 minutes or so you will find yourself above Staithes Harbour. Tees Bay wind turbines and Hartlepool are in the distance, I wonder if a homesick  Mother ever came here to see her home town during the war.
To be honest if you ever wanted to visit Port Mulgrave then you might be better off ......
Pick a good day
Drive to Staithes.
Dress to suit conditions.
Go to Church Road, climb to the top and join the footpath to Port Mulgrave?

BEACH BUOY.