Powered By Blogger

Saturday 5 August 2017

WHY THE BEACH?

Why the Beach?

The Beach gives many things to many people.
I go on the Beach a lot; it's Home.
I have researched my family tree and discovered  that I come from a long line of seafarers in one way or another.
I have traced my family to Robin Hood's Bay back to a marriage there in 1600 and they were there until around 1860/1864 when my Great Great grandmother came to Hartlepool.
We have been here ever since.


Great grandfather sailed Windjammers, worked for the Port and in later days rang the Fog bell on Hartlepool Pier. 
In 1901 he received the Sea Gallantry Medal for his rescue of crew of the shipwrecked trio.
My other Great grandfather was a Pilot; guiding ships into Hartlepool Port. Here is he is in his uniform.


My Grandfather was in the Navy in WW1 and  a fouyboatman at Hartlepool in later years.
Here is is below in his Navy days... on the Left.
I never met him.




I spent many hours with my Father on the beach and I suppose in a way the Beach is my Field of Dreams,
Go and he will come
He died suddenly on 1982.
Maybe one day he will walk with me?
Here he is in his favourite photograph taken after a shrimping trip in Hartlepool Bay.


It was taken by me in Middleton Harbour near the Cabins.
He was wearing he favourite Whitby Slicker and had gone to get the bucket to get fresh water to boil the  Shrimps.

Here is me aged 15 steering the Boat that day.

We went on the Beach most weekends.
I go as much as I can now.

BEACH BUOY